The blood oxygen level in the body (or oxygen saturation levels) is a measure of how much oxygen is present in the red blood cells.
Studies shows that maintaining a precise balance of oxygen-saturated blood is very important for good health. And this process of balancing is automated by your body in most of the cases.
However in patients suffering from health conditions such as chronic respiratory problems, asthma, COPD, heart disease, etc. the balancing of oxygen saturation levels in the blood gets altered.
Thus the levels oxygen saturation in such conditions needs to be monitored regularly for avoiding any serious problems.
Hypoxemia (blood oxygen levels below the normal) is a condition of concern for most of the patients.
In case you are suffering from serious lung conditions, it is important for you to know about the normal oxygen levels that are right for you. Also it is important that you maintain the same so as to avoid any serious consequences.
- What Is A Pulse Oximeter?
- How Does It Work?
- Pulse Oximeter Types
- How Does Pulse Oximeter for Asthma Help?
- 10 Best Pulse Oximeter For Asthma Reviews
- 1- Concord Sapphire Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- 2- Finger Pulse Oximeter by Vive Precision
- 3- iHealth Air Wireless Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- 4- Santamedical Generation 2 OLED Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- 5- TEC.BEAN Updated Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- 6- AccuMed CMS-50D1 Finger Pulse Oximeter
- 7- MeasuPro Instant Read Digital Pulse Oximeter
- 8- HealthTree Children Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- 9- HealthTree Bluetooth Fingertip Pulse Oximeter and Pulse Rate Monitor
- 10- Innovo Deluxe Fingertip Pulse Oximeter with Plethysmograph and Perfusion Index
- Factors to Consider When Buying A Pulse Oximeter
What Is A Pulse Oximeter?
Pulse oximetry is a non-invasive method by which a person’s oxygen saturation (SO2) can be monitored easily.
The small portable device which is used to detect rapid changes in your blood oxygen level is called as pulse oximeter.
In most cases, a Pulse Oximeter is used to measure two different things namely:
- Heart rate
- Oxygen saturation in blood
Getting count or details pertaining to heart rate is pretty easy with Pulse Oximeter. It works by picking the lub dub of heart and then translates this count on a display screen.
Reading an oxygen saturation level in your blood with Pulse Oximeter is the method of finding the percentage of hemoglobin molecules in arterial blood. This is the level of blood that then saturates with oxygen.
You can shine a light through your finger which then helps in calculating the level of oxygen with the help of sensor that are attached to Pulse Oximeter.
How Does It Work?
Pulse Oximeter works using a very simple principle, wherein it takes into account the method by which absorption of red and infra red lights occur.
This absorption is characterized by both oxygenated and deoxygenated haemoglobin in a human body.
In case of oxygenated haemoglobin, then it shall absorb infrared and allow red light to pass through, whereas in case of deoxygenated hemoglobin, then you could see absorption of more red light and allow infra red to pass through.
Pulse Oximeter Types
While oximetry is a diagnostic procedure, the most common kinds of pulse oximetry devices used currently are as follows:
Finger Pulse Oximeter – This is the most commonly used device as it’s portable as well as easy to understand and calculate hemoglobin level with this. The working so easy that you can use it on your own without any additional help.
Mostly it comes in a shape of an alligator and can be inserted/clipped to your finger or ear lobe. There is a screen on the clip that reads the oxygen level and differentiates between oxygenated and deoxygenated blood.
One main disadvantage of using this type of Pulse Oximeter is that it may not always provide you with ideal or actual reading in case there are blood clots or if your hand is cold while trying the test.
Handheld Oximeter – This type of Oximeter is mostly used by medical institutes and hospitals to read vital signs of a human being. This is slightly better and sophisticated design of reading and does not have reading screen attached to the machine.
There is a cable attached that reads sign and then shows the result on another screen. It is possible for a doctor to gain better understanding of your body with this kind of machine as it get more details about your pulse and blood levels.
Fetal Pulse – This kind of Oximeter is used for babies, to know if the child is healthy or not.
However, this kind of practice is not advised to be used on new born babies as in such cases it is not always possible to get accurate readings and the passage of light could be of serious damage to them.
How Does Pulse Oximeter for Asthma Help?
The most common misconception that usually get into the minds of patients is that oxygen saturation shows a dip while you are affected with asthma.
However the fact is, this is not always the case and an ideal way to ensure this is by measuring your oxygen saturation levels.
The best possible method to do so is by using a Pulse Oximeter. As per a recent research, it was pointed that most of the asthma patients makes use of pulse Oximeter in their home to get their oxygen saturation levels tested on their own.
This is best done to ensure that they keep a tab on oxygen saturation levels and take appropriate treatment before the situation gets out of control due to acute asthma problems.
10 Best Pulse Oximeter For Asthma Reviews
Many of us would have come across a Pulse Oximeter in the form of either stick or of a clip that can be attached to a vital machine. These days we even have portable Pulse Oximeter that you can carry along while you travel.
Buying a Pulse Oximeter is not always an easy task. Every individual is different and hence a careful decision needs to be made before buying pulse Oximeter.
Here we list down some of the best options for you to buy. Do check them out and pick one that suites you best.
1- Concord Sapphire Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
Designed for personal use to check the betterment of the oxygen levels in the blood; Concord Sapphire fingertip pulse oximeter is a trusted brand which offers accurate results.
For convenient and easy monitoring of the blood oxygen, this is the best pulse oximeter device in the market to buy.
This Concord Sapphire oximeter device has a large bright red LED display which lets you to read in the dark or bright light. It requires AAA batteries which run 30 hours straight.
The device shuts off automatically after 8 seconds to avoid unnecessary battery drain. Furthermore; it indicates ahead of time, when the batteries are low and requires changing.
- It is accurate, quick and user-friendly device which shows your blood oxygen levels, pulse strength and pulse rate.
- The device comes packed with a carrying case, batteries, shock resistant cover in a custom foam padded box.
- It is suggested for adults as well as pediatric (kids more than 7 years) use
- The device comes with a 2 year warranty
2- Finger Pulse Oximeter by Vive Precision
If you are looking for a value for money Oximeter device for at-home fitness testing, Finger Pulse Oximeter by Vive Precision gives you 100% accurate results.
Individuals suffering from cardiopulmonary conditions, asthma, emphysema as well as heart conditions can rely on this Finger Pulse Oximeter to measure their blood SpO2 levels on their own, in between lab visits.
The device also comes equipped with a feature that taps an irregular heartbeat and low oxygen saturation level alarm, ensuring you are never left thinking that everything is alright.
- This oximeter from VIVE brand is FDA approved
- Easy to use; all you need to do is simply turn on the device, clipped it on your finger, and have your blood oxygen and pulse rate checked.
- Portability is never an issue; it come included belt clip case and necklace/lanyard included in the package.
- It has a vibrant, multi-angle display with a black background and large bright blue readout
- The device comes with a 2-year warranty
3- iHealth Air Wireless Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
Activity trackers aren’t useful when it comes to measuring fitness, they basically measures exercise results. If you are looking for a detailed health related findings you require a dedicated device.
iHealth fingertip pulse Oximeter lets you check the oxygen levels in your blood, keeps track of your pulse strength as well as your perfusion index.
The device is handy and user-friendly to use. All you have to do is slip onto your finger inside and start the device; it shows the results in a neat display.
If you wish to record the data; it simultaneously tracks those results with iHealth’s free mobile health app.
- The device measures about 7.3 x 4.5 x 6.1 inches and weighs 4.8 ounces
- Accurately measure your blood oxygen level, pulse rate, and perfusion index
- It is clinically tested and HIPAA compliant.
- Wireless and lightweight, the pulse oximeter can be worn during the activities
- Easy to clipped on your finger for a reading, anytime, anywhere
4- Santamedical Generation 2 OLED Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
Santamedical Generation 2 OLED Fingertip Pulse Oximeter is a great at-home accurate enough to give pretty good picture of how well your body is taking oxygen.
Santamedical Fingertip Pulse Oximeter comes with updated design that is equipped with improved features. It has 2 way text displays which make it easy to read from different directions.
- This unit has a wide pulse reading range, which enables to measure the pulse rate from 30 – 254 bpm,
- All the measurements are displayed within 10 seconds after putting the device on
- The device comes with batteries and lanyard for easy portability.
- It has a 1-year warranty and easily available at all leading pharmacy as well as online stores
5- TEC.BEAN Updated Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
With the way medical technology is advancing, it has made it possible to have the health checkup done at affordably at home.
TEC.Bean oximeter is one such accurate, professionally designed oximeter device that helps to keep track of pulse rate and oxygen levels in the blood.
It is newly upgraded, FDA approved device that measures your pulse and oxygen levels quickly.
- The device comes equipped with auditory beep which makes a sound audible noise for every detected pulse
- The auditory alarm warns you when your SpO2 and pulse rate are not as per the set limits.
- The device has a bright double color OLED display which shows you accurate data any time anywhere you need.
- The unit is extremely light in weight and easy to carry, accommodating range of finger sizes
- The display can be accustomed in 4 different directions moreover; it shows 6 display modes show real time oxygen levels, pulse rate, and pulse rate bar
- The device is extremely useful for sports enthusiastic
6- AccuMed CMS-50D1 Finger Pulse Oximeter
The AccuMed Pulse Oximeter offers accuracy, speed and ease of use; all these at affordable price. The device efficiently reads accurate oxygen saturation; as well as pulse rate in one device.
This AccuMed Pulse Oximeter unit can fit all finger sizes from kids above 5 years old to adults as it measures the level of oxygen in the blood and reads the pulse rate within 10 seconds.
To get accurate measurements it is important that it is put in a stationary position, and not while in the motion for precise readings.
- The unit automatically shuts down; helping on conserving the battery life when the user’s finger has been removed for more than 5 seconds
- It comes with AAA batteries that give straight 24 hours of continuous operating time
- You can view/read your SpO2 and Pulse Rate through bright LED display
- The LED display cover prevents ambient light washout, making readings crisp and clear.
- The unit is FDA approved
- It comes with 1 year warranty
7- MeasuPro Instant Read Digital Pulse Oximeter
MeasuPro Instant read digital pulse oximeter, oxygen sensor and pulse rate monitor helps brilliantly in detecting early warning signs of potential diseases.
This Oximeter can prove to be extremely helpful in keeping track the pulse rate, and oxygen levels in the blood.
- The device can read your SpO2 and heart rate with one easy push button on top
- You will receive a carrying case with belt loop, and lanyard about 12-inches long
- The unit is white with black accents with a black screen background for contrast to the colored numbers.
- It comes with a 2 year warranty and widely sold at online stores.
It’s time that you make your health a priority; MeasuPro Oximeter can help you to get one.
8- HealthTree Children Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
Looking for an oximeter for your asthmatic kid? HealthTree brings new innovative, cartoon upgrading design purely for pediatric use.
The unit is FDA & CE Certified which comes in dual color OLED screen display to measure pulse rate, SPO2, waveform as well as pulse bar.
This pulse oximeter for child asthma device offers accurate measurements of SpO2 & pulse rate with anti-motion technology.
- It is all in one integrated oximeter device approved by FDA
- User-friendly, it provides real time spot check
- The device can work more than 18 hours continuously
- The device offers resistance to surrounding light and interference of man-made light
- Accurate measurement of SpO2&PR with anti-motion technology
- Works on AAA batteries; the unit accurately measures SPO2, Pulse Rate, Pulse Bar, Pulse Waveform
- It worked well on baby’s foot , as well as its works perfectly fit an adult finger
- Available on all leading online stores
The unit is extremely light-weighted and can be easily carried on the go.
9- HealthTree Bluetooth Fingertip Pulse Oximeter and Pulse Rate Monitor
If you’re required to go for blood gas testing on a regular basis Health Tree Bluetooth Fingertip Pulse Oximeter is the best one to go for.
Accurate and easy, the device helps you to monitor your health during daily activities and exercise. With one touch measurements and big OLED display it makes it easy to view your readings at a glance.
- The device comes with real time synchronization with free APP Oxitracker which can be seamlessly connected through Bluetooth for recording and storing your health data.
- It is easy to track historical trends and readings as well as can be remotely connected which makes it easy to share historical data with your doctor by entering the details into the app account.
- It has LED display screen which shows the readings and waveforms with adjustable brightness for both indoor and outdoor environment.
10- Innovo Deluxe Fingertip Pulse Oximeter with Plethysmograph and Perfusion Index
Innovo Fingertip Pulse Oximeter is the new generation in SpO2 monitoring. Equipped with advanced technology combined with unique convenient features makes this oximeter a must-have for those concerned about their well-being.
It is easy and user-friendly, once your fingertip is clipped in the device this oximeter begins measuring oxygen levels and heart rate instantly.
- The device offers accurate results when it comes to measuring oxygen levels in the blood and that too within 10 seconds
- Comes with plethysmography technology as well as perfusion index which precisely detects blood volume changes in the microvascular bed of tissue quite easily
- The device is light-weight and small which makes it easy to carry. It comes with 2 x AAA free batteries which offer about 1000 readings at a stretch.
- The device is suitable for asthmatics, sports enthusiasts or those individuals interested in measuring their normal oxygen level and pulse rate
Factors to Consider When Buying A Pulse Oximeter
As seen above, pulse oximeter is one of the most important devices for asthma and COPD patients. However while buying one online you should check for some important things.
Accuracy at which a device works is of utmost importance when it comes to pulse Oximeter. At any point, the device should be able to provide you with 70% accuracy of oxygen saturation level.
Other key important factors to look at includes – portability, lightweight, durability, visible or perfect display activates automatically when you need.
Do not forget to check for various manufacturers online and check for their user reviews.